Firefox 2.0 due out Tuesday
The Mozilla Corporation said that the browser will be available for download at getfirefox.com
Mozilla’s vice president of engineering, Mike Schroepfer, was reported by SeattlePI.com as saying that the new release of the two-year-old product includes new features but strives to retain its simplicity of design and operation.
Features of Firefox 2.0 include:
– phishing protection to prevent the deceptive disclosure of personal information.
– restoring of windows, tabs, in-progress downloads and text typed into online forms if any of those are interrupted by a system crash
– correction of the spelling of words entered on Web pages
– improved tabbed-windows interface
– previewing and subscribing to Web feeds
– enhanced searching
Currently Firefox 2.0 Release Candidate 3 is available for download. Click here for the release notes.
Competition with Microsoft’s recently released IE7 is inevitable. SeattlePI further reported that analysts said “IE7 is a significant improvement over its predecessor, but the big question is whether it will stem Firefox’s growth at Microsoft’s expense. Firefox’s share of the browser market has grown to 9.8 percent of the U.S. market this month, from 2.9 percent in October 2004.”