Telkom offers new bundled ADSL
Telkom has recently launched a new all-in-one bundled ADSL option through www.do.co.za.
With this bundled package customers receive a single bill for their ADSL line and their Internet Service Provider (ISP). Although punted as offering just one bill, a noteworthy exclusion in the “all-in-one” bundle is the copper line rental for voice, which is still charged for separately.
These offerrings have been seen as a threat to ISPs, who do not have the same competitive advantage as Telkom and are being undercut. Speaking to someone from a leading ISP who asked not to be named, it appears that Telkom have approached certain ISPs and invited them to be a part of this bundle. Details on this have not yet been made public and the exact timeframe is still unclear, however.
In addition to the ADSL bundles, Telkom is also offering the “Closer” series of options which bundle the Internet connection with allocations of free telephone minutes.
At the time of publishing, no Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers could be contacted for comment, but the inclusion of free minutes on the “Closer” bundles appears to be an answer to the challenge presented by these cost effective services.
The Telkom offerings:
– do Broadband Level 1, for R279, offers DSL up to 384 Kbps with a TelkomInternet account and 1 Gig cap.
– do Broadband Level 2, for R364, offers DSL up to 384 Kbps with a TelkomInternet account and 2 Gig cap.
– do Broadband Level 3, for R675, offers DSL up to 4 Mbps with a TelkomInternet account and 3 Gig cap.
– do Broadband Level 1 Closer, for R578, offers a DSL connection with speeds of up to 384kbps, 1 Gig of bandwidth, free callmore calls, 1000 inclusive minutes during standard time, cellular savings, line rental and the call answering service.
– do Broadband Level 2 Closer, for R657, is the same as above, but with a 2 Gig cap.
– do Broadband Level 3 Closer, for R936, is the same as the above 2, but with a DSL connection with speeds up to 4 Mbps and a 3 Gig cap.