porn - javhd - hentai

Open source in all businesses within a year – Gartner

By   |  November 18, 2008

IT analysts Gartner are becoming increasingly bullish about the prospects for open source software. Its latest study predicts that all businesses will be using OSS within the next 12 months.

Gartner says that according a new study it conducted between May and June this year, 85 percent of companies are already using some form of open source software and the remaining 15 percent are expected to make the move within a year.

The survey included 274 end-user organisations across various countries and markets in Asia/Pacific, Europe and North America. Gartner says the respondents were evenly distributed across manufacturing, education, financial services and service companies as well small, medium and large organisations.

According to the survey, OSS in new projects is being deployed nearly equally in mission-critical and non-mission-critical situations.

Main reasons

When respondents were asked to select the top three most important reasons for using OSS, they consistently said that lower total cost of ownership and reduction in development of cost-prohibitive factors were major factors for selecting OSS. Another strong reason for using OSS was that it makes it somewhat easier to embark on new IT projects or software
initiatives.

Some of the survey companies also said that they used OSS as investment protection against a single vendor “owning” the entire IT department. Others said that the major business reason for using OSS projects and components was faster time to market, which better positions them to meet the unique demands and requirements of internal and external customers and, in many cases, provides them with the ability to avoid complex procurement rules and procedures.

Tags:

Comments

7 Responses to “Open source in all businesses within a year – Gartner”

  1. nuvolari
    November 18th, 2008 @ 10:02 am

    It seems the body text was missing 😛
    From the RSS feed:

    “Gartner is becoming increasingly bullish about the prospects for open source software. Its latest study predicts that all businesses will be using OSS within the next 12 months.”

  2. Alastair
    November 18th, 2008 @ 10:16 am

    @nuvolari:
    Wow. You’re fast … and right. Something went wrong the but the text should be back now.

  3. Dwayne Bailey
    November 18th, 2008 @ 2:15 pm

    Funny I seem to remember that people where telling us that the TCO of Linux was bad or same as other platforms. Could it be that the only thing that changed is that CIOs started doing their own thinking?

  4. Koos
    November 18th, 2008 @ 3:30 pm

    I love it when a plan comes together.

  5. Dominic White
    November 18th, 2008 @ 4:05 pm

    Got a link to Gartner on this?

  6. Alastair
    November 18th, 2008 @ 4:17 pm

    @Dominic White:
    http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=801412 has the full press release on the study.

  7. fourijm
    December 2nd, 2008 @ 7:39 am

    Open source in all businesses within a year – Gartner.
    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3660

Comments are closed